Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Debate on Education Proposal

Tonight we had a mock town meeting, discussing the opinions different groups in the community have on a new education proposal.

Each group stood and shared their arguments for or against the proposal. Let's just say: it got a little heated.

I appreciated the debate because it was nice to hear that many of my classmates agreed with how I feel about education. Generally, most of us disagreed with the proposal. I feel that teachers need to be accountable for what they are teaching, which means there must be some form of assessment given. However, the pressure should not be on the students, because there are so many variables to how each individual student will react.

I left the lecture feeling frustrated, not knowing what Knick and Langholz actually believe about the proposal. I guess at this point, it doesn't really matter what they believe because as an individual I've already chosen my beliefs.

No comments: